Thursday, November 27, 2008

The Essence of Thanksgiving

Since my childhood it has been a common practice to stuff the turkey and let it slow roast overnight. This year I got a 25 pounder to insure that there would be plenty of leftovers to share with other family members. My roaster just barely accomodated the huge bird, but I was pleased that it did indeed fit into my oven. I was looking forward to that traditional turkey fragrance when I woke up in the morning. My nose detected something unpleasant before I was fully awake. As I decended the stairs I could see a smoky haze over the living room. Uh Oh!

The roaster accomodated the meaty fellow, but apparently not all of the oily juice which was now bubbling over onto the bottom of the oven,creating a nasty burnt greasy smoke. Yucky! I flung open the windows, and hoped the stove and ceiling fan would move the smoky air out of the house. Thankfully we have another stove in the lower level, to which I promptly moved Mr. Turkey so he could continue roasting, minus a quart of oily juice. I turned on the diffuser down there which contained Purification essential oil blend and filled another one upstairs with Christmas Spirit to freshen the air.

As much as I dreaded it, the greasy oven was next on my list. Yay! Oven cleaning before my eyes were open, I groaned. First, I wiped out the pooling oil with several paper towels, then sprayed Thieves Household Essential Oil cleaner on the inside of the entire oven. I let it sit for a few minutes, then wiped. I repeated this a few times just with the cleaner and paper towels. It came clean without any harsh oven cleaners or scouring pads. When my family arrived I told them about the scary incident this morning. The house had a pleasant cinnamony scent and everyone said that they could hardly smell any smokiness at all. Whew, essential oils to the rescue and yes, the turkey turned out delicious to my great relief!

Happy Thanksgiving to All!

No comments: