Thursday, April 16, 2009

Oiling Myself Well

So sorry, dear followers, that I haven't posted for an entire week. I was busy battling a nasty respiratory bug of some sort, ahem, gathering research for my blog. I am rarely sick, but this was a tough one that hit me like a truck. Started with a fever, a swollen gland and ear, possibly tonsillitis, raw throat, massive mucus overload in my sinuses, and then congested lungs. My whole lymphatic system ached, no doubt clogged with mucus and the lymph node under my left arm was hard as rock down into my breast. It is my nature to stay positive and believe me,I worked at getting well, using every essential oil in my arsenal to move this bug along.

I don't do Nyquil or any Quil for that matter. Over the counter decongestants, cold medications, pain relievers? Nope. Here is how I used essential oils for this recent bout of yuck (remember these are medicinal, therapeutic grade essential oils--DO NOT take EOs internally unless they are labeled as a dietary supplement!).

Tea Tree (Melaleuca alternifolia) and Lavender (Lavendula angustifolia):
Applied these EOs 2 or 3 times daily for congested ears/glands. A drop of each EO mixed with a drop of jojoba or olive oil on a cotton swab then inserted halfway into ear, twisting gently to coat ear canal. Never drop EOs directly into ear!

For tonsillitis, I swab undiluted Tea Tree over the back of my throat--not pleasant to do, but almost immediate relief! Followed by hot water with fresh squeezed lemon, great for breaking up mucus and encouraging lymphatic circulation.

Thieves Hard Lozenges : I went through a whole box of these little gems! Great to suck on to soothe sore throats and cough and contains a powerful blend of EOs to fight bacteria in the ear, nose, and throat.

Inner Defense softgels: These are my silver bullets for respiratory issues, very , very strong thyme and oregano and other heavy hitting bacterial fighting EOs! I took 2-3 during the day with meals.

Life 5 Probiotics: These amped up my healthy intestinal flora that was struggling with mucus overload. Took one capsule at night.

Frankincense cleared out the congested lymph node and breast duct like nothing else! A 50/50 dilution of Frankincense in jojoba or olive oil rubbed over area, then I put a warm compress over it....ahhhh.

Eucalyptus globulus and Pine : I diffused these EOs like crazy throughout the house! Pine is a bronchial dilator and really helped expel the stuff lodged deep in my lungs.

Feel free to contact me for information about how to order these EOs and products for YOUR medicine cabinet or visit my online catalog for purchasing.

4 comments:

Viveca said...

Great info! Thanks!

I spent ten days myself in extended cold/sniffle/congestion land. Yikes.

I have a question for you. What would you recommend as a home health "tool kit?"

Is there a book out that lists the problem i.e. blocked sinuses with the solution xxxxxx essential oil?

Cheers! Viveca

Viveca said...

Great info! Thanks!

I spent ten days myself in extended cold/sniffle/congestion land. Yikes.

I have a question for you. What would you recommend as a home health "tool kit?"

Is there a book out that lists the problem i.e. blocked sinuses with the solution xxxxxx essential oil?

Cheers! Viveca

Jennifer Nordin, LMT, CPT said...

Thanks for your comment and question, Viveca! I plan to do a whole post on a basic essential oil kit for every home soon. Stay tuned! :) The best comprehensive reference guide for medicinal essential oils is the Essential Oils Desk Reference from Essential Science Publishing. Keep in mind that this book is specifically for using Young Living Therapeutic Grade EOs and products. Other brands of essential oils can't be used in the same ways as this reference book instructs. I buy my books at a good price from http://abundanthealth4u.com

Cascia Talbert said...

You won a prize from Healthy Moms! I just need your mailing address. You can send it to talbert cascia at yahoo dot com. Congratulations!